Weather Authority Launches Major Update to Industry-Leading WSI Pilotbrief Service
Andover, MA, May 3, 2011 - WSI (Weather Services International), the aviation industry’s most trusted aviation weather decision support provider, today announced the launch of WSI Pilotbrief Optima™, a new, dramatically enhanced, on-line version of the industry-leading WSI Pilotbrief service.
Within a matter of seconds, pilots can now receive a crystal clear and actionable view of potential weather impacts and optimize plans accordingly. The benefits include quicker aircraft turnaround times and improved mission planning and safety, among others. With the presentation of the most accurate weather data commercially available, pilots can enhance the quality of service delivered to their passengers.
The innovative WSI Pilotbrief Optima service features a powerful new mapping engine with unrivalled performance, high definition convective weather depiction and enhanced global overlays. When combined with flight plan and airspace overlays, the high definition weather information improves route planning and builds confidence in decision making. The new release also enables a high level of personalization and ‘mid-task’ customization to further streamline pilot workflow.
“The release of WSI Pilotbrief Optima underscores our commitment to extend WSI’s leadership position in global aviation weather–decision-support by delivering early insight into disruptive weather conditions, no matter where pilots operate,” said Mark D. Miller, VP of WSI’s Decision Support.
Enhanced Pilotbrief Optima Features:
- High Definition (HD) Map – This powerful new mapping engine combines unrivalled performance, high fidelity and personalization to take the guess work out of mission planning.
- High Definition (HD) Weather Layers - This includes enhanced Radar, Satellite IR, Vertically Integrated Liquid (VIL) and EchoTop mosaics. Most notably, the new EchoTop mosaic offers a four- fold improvement in spatial resolution that clearly shows the highest tops of greatest concern, improving confidence in route planning and decision making.
- Global Lightning – With an optional overlay to WSI’s proprietary Global Lightning Network (GLN), pilots can quickly identify areas of strongest convective activity outside ground-based weather radar range.
- SATrad™ - Derived from satellite imagery and high resolution model data, WSI’s proprietary SATrad provides a synthesized depiction of convection throughout the tropics. When combined with global lightning, pilots can pinpoint the areas of strongest convection to avoid, improving safety and passenger comfort.
- Enhanced Airport and Route Briefings – WSI’s proprietary briefing engine delivers the most relevant weather and NOTAM information for your mission in a compact, easy to read and highly transportable briefing package.
Over the next few months, WSI Pilotbrief Optima will be available in an iPad version, a lock-down browser version and a kiosk version for FBOs.
WSI also provides free access to basic weather information at www.pilotbrief.com/optima
About WSI Aviation
WSI, the most trusted weather decision support provider in the aviation industry, provides a proactive, aviation operation management suite ensuring common situational awareness and continuity in decisions through every phase of flight. WSI Pilotbrief™ is an integral component of WSI’s comprehensive flight decision support solution, which includes WSI Hubcast® terminal forecasts and alerting for airport stakeholders, InFlight™ datalink for pilots, as well as the WSI Fusion™ dispatch application. WSI also operates a Global Forecast Center staffed by experienced aviation meteorologists that produce operational terminal and enroute forecasts globally.
Collectively, the WSI solution streamlines workflow and enhances weather decision making through all phases of flight, improving operational confidence, communications, flexibility and decisions among key flight stakeholders. The result is improved safety and efficiency.
WSI (Weather Services International) is the world's leading provider of weather-driven business solutions for professionals in the aviation, energy and media markets, as well as multiple federal and state government agencies. WSI is a member of The Weather Channel Companies and is headquartered in Andover, Massachusetts with offices in Birmingham, England. The Weather Channel Companies are owned by a consortium made up of NBC Universal and the private equity firms The Blackstone Group and Bain Capital.
For more information, please contact:
Rudolph Communications, LLC